artsandcrafts,

DIY White and Gold Night Stand

8/07/2016 The Solo Alliance 0 Comments


As I continue on my road of projects, one that I experimented with was a second hand night stand. I found it at the local thrift store and needed to store some of the extra items that I use for crafting. The color goes well with the color scheme in the dining area, even though I originally bought it for my bedroom. The great thing about white and gold, is that it will pair fine if I do move it into my bedroom. Well let's get into this project. 

Materials Used:
  • 2 cans Rust-Oleum White Texture Spray Paint
  • 1 can Rust- Oleum Hammered Gold Spray Paint
  • 1 can Rust- Oleum Primer (Gray)
  • 1 can Krylon Maxx Clear Coat 
  • Painter's Tape
  • Screwdriver
  • Sandpaper



Unfortunately, this was a project that I was experimenting with also, and did not think it would go on the blog, so I don't have the original of how the night stand looked in the complete beginning, but you can tell the color with the drawers. It wasn't until after I started priming it, that I was like success or fail, this is going on the blog and started snapping pictures. 

   

Why the hammer is in the picture, I am not sure. I did not use it at all. I removed the knobs with a screw driver and sanded down everything. I used 100 grit sandpaper to sand down the original item before primer and I used 150 girt to sand down the night stand after priming and before painting. 

.

I must get better at taking pictures during the process, but we all have a starting point for learning. I did paint the entire outside white and most of the work came on the drawers. I also sanded with 400 grit sandpaper in between the white paint coatings and it took a full two coatings of white spray paint. I wish I would have bought white primer, but I wasn't sure what color I was going to paint the nightstand when I originally bought the primer. After sanding them and priming them (in which I don't have any correct pictures). I placed the painter's tape of the raised areas as illustrated below.

As you can see where the red arrows are pointing, after I placed painter's tape over the raised areas, I painted the remainder of the drawer white. I removed the painters tape after painting the entire drawer and let the paint dry.  I didn't do the gold trimming the same day, so the paint dried overnight. I did the reverse for the gold trimming, placing the painter's tape over the white painted front areas. After letting the gold paint dry, I reattached the knobs, and spray painted a clear coat over the entire project and let dry. 

Before moving it back into the house, I let it sit out in the Texas sun to dry and cure for almost two full days and I rearranged the drawers, as I had put them in the wrong place, and that is why it looks fairly backwards on the top pic and correct on the bottom pic. 



To recap some lessons learned in this project:
  • I should have taken more pictures of the process. 
  • I definitely should have bought white primer, which would have been less work and less paint. 
  • I had a learning curved, where the entire front was going to be gold, and then I had to prime again and correct that to the gold strips that you see. 


At the end, the project was very easy even with the learning curves. Thanks for visiting The Solo Alliance **smooches**


0 comments: